A Day in the Life: Family Medicine

Wednesday, September 6, 2017



6:05: alarm goes off. I keep hitting snooze until 6:15 and lay there in bed for a few mins before getting out of bed.

6:25: roll out of bed, get myself in the shower (if I'm showering in the AM that day), or brush my teeth and go to the kitchen.

6:30: make my coffee while I pack my lunch and some snacks (blueberry greek yogurt, kind bars, walnuts, a banana) and lots of water.

6:45: this is my favorite part of the day. I like to enjoy my coffee in peace and take my time, since this is the only few mins I'll get to myself until right before bed. It's my fuel for the day and I never skimp out on it.

7:10: get dressed, slap on some make up on my face, make sure my hair doesn't look as crazy as it normally does. I try to keep my makeup and jewelry at minimum since work is not the place to go all out with that.

7:35: gather all of my stuff and head out the door

7:55: my preceptor likes to have a little morning huddle with the staff to discuss our patients for the day. That way any changes that need to be made are taken care of before the patient walks in for their appointment.

8:20: Get to work! I have started seeing some patients on my own, so my preceptor usually walks me into the exam room where the pt is, introduces me, and asks them if its okay for me to do their history and physical. Sometimes he'll stay in there to observe if its a chief complaint that will require special tests for the physical exam. Otherwise he'll step out and I will go find him after and tell him what I think is going on.

8:20-12:30: for these next four hours, we see cases of actinic keratosis (I got to use Histofreeze for the first time to tx the lesion with cryotherapy), abdominal pain, 2 cases of rashes, a handful of lab follow ups, hypothyroidism, anxiety, pain management, inguinal hernia, and our daily handful of diabetes and hypertension follow ups. I also helped remove some sutures from a patient we saw the week before and helped start on a wet-to-dry dressing. We go back to my preceptor's office between each patient and he allows me to ask any questions if we aren't in a time crunch. This is also when I get to get some snacks into my system to hold me over until lunch time.

12:40: usually our lunch starts at 12:30 but because we were so busy we didn't get to start our lunch break till 12:40. We eat really quickly and start seeing patients at 1:05 again.

1:05 - 5:30: post lunch cases included a case of SSRI discontinuation syndrome, GERD management, IBS, urinary incontinence, another case of hypothyroidism. Today we get done seeing patients for the day by 4 pm. Then my preceptor lets me document the HPI and physical exam for the patients I saw on my own into their charts. We review my notes together once I'm done and he adds in his own notes if I missed anything and finishes up the follow up, treatment plan, etc. We go over how to code everything before he signs the chart. I had no idea so many different kinds of codes were involved (insert eye roll here).

5:30: I was out the door on time today because our last patient was not scheduled around 5. Otherwise it could be 5:45 before I head home.

5:45: get home, hop in the shower or eat something first if I'm super hungry.

6:30: I start logging my patients in for our school records, and finish my time logs. I prefer to do this the same day so everything is fresh in my mind (on top of the paper notes that I took) and so that it doesn't pile up.

7:15: Dinner time and time to get organized for tomorrow (mentally pick out my clothes for the next day, pack my lunch if I'm feeling extra motivated, etc.)

7:40: I review the medications that I didn't remember very well from clinic that day, read up on disease states including HPI, PE, and treatment options for the patients we're seeing tomorrow to be prepared for another day of learning and fun!

9:00: I usually watch some tv, catch up on social media, or chat with the parents since this rotation is at home, unless I'm really tired, then I just go straight to bed.

9:30: I'm usually in bed by this time to rest my body even if I'm not sleepy yet. Eventually I doze off before 10 if I can manage to stay off Pinterest and Instagram ;)


My go to reference in between patients if I have the time/need to look something up

Day in Review
Hours worked: 9.30
Total patients seen: 18
Patients seen on my own: 3
Hours studied: 1hr 20 mins

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram get more frequent updates about my PA school experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment