What's in My White Coat?

Monday, November 20, 2017




Hey all! Can you believe the holiday season is upon us!? It's my most favorite time of the year :).
I'm sorry for not being as active on the blog lately. Even though I had ideas for posts and things I wanted to share, I just had difficulty putting my thoughts together. Starting rotations has definitely played a role in it. It's quite an adjustment and everything else kind of took a back seat meanwhile. However, I think I've got the hang of it now and will try to be more interactive with you all!

My "what's in my bag" post was a hit and I had such awesome feedback from it that I thought it'd be fun to do a similar post for what I carry with me on rotations. This time I'm going to share what I carry in my white coat to give you a sense of what I need daily at work.

Stethoscope: we bought ours together as a class at the beginning of didactic so I've had it for a while. I usually tuck in one of the larger pocket in my coat because otherwise it either slides off the back of my hair or makes me feel restricted. I use Littmann cardiology IV.

Reflex hammer  I bought this new reflex hammer with a monofilament at the other end during my first rotation (family med) because my preceptor had a similar one and I've used it all the time since. It's super helpful for doing a quick monofilament test on patients with diabetes (it checks for decreased sensation in their feet due to diabetic neuropathy).

Maxwell's medical reference: best $5 I've ever spent! I've used it numerous times to find lab values and even my preceptors have asked me to see if something we're looking for is in there.

Pens: I carry 1-2 pens with me at any given time and have more in my handbag because preceptors are well known for borrowing a pen and never returning it.

Notebook: I take this into the room with me almost every time. I write down the information I need about every patient (excluding any protected health information) to chart for my school and any additional notes that I learned during that interaction from my preceptor. I also have written little notes to myself in the back for routine exams/common disease states as a reference if I feel like I'm forgetting to ask something.

Snacks: they come to my rescue all the time! I usually have a protein bar or a small ziplock with walnuts hiding somewhere in my coat.

Phone: I usually don't check my phone during the day unless we're super slow or need to look something up and am not close to my iPad.

Vaseline lip moisturizer: favorite lip moisturizer in the whole wide world. Nothing works as well and for as long as this for me. I also carry extra hair ties in my coat especially during surgery rotation incase I lose one or it snaps.

Cash: starting surgery rotation, I've started to keep small bills in my pockets for a quick run to the cafeteria. I haven't needed it so far because my awesome preceptor has been kind enough to buy me breakfast twice now!



iPad: I don't literally carry this in my white coat but I have been using my iPad to chart patients during day if I get the chance to. This is usually sitting at the nurses station and I try to chart as much as I can  between patients or during downtime so I have less to do after I get home.

That's pretty much all I've got! If you guys have any suggestions of what else I should stuff in my pockets or what you carry around on the day, I'd love to hear from you in the comments. Thank you for reading :) Stay tuned for a post about my EOR study tips!

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram get more frequent updates about my PA school experiences.

2 comments :

  1. What shoes would you recommend for surgery rotations ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tennis shoes are comfy enough for me so I've stuck to them for now. Since I'm almost halfway through this rotation, I'm hesitating to spend more money just for a few more weeks. But so far people have recommended calzuros and alegrias. I've also seen nurses wear danskos but I personally think they're too heavy for me. You can also go to fleet feet stores and tell them you need standing shoes and they can help you find something!

      Delete