Hooding Ceremony and PA school update

Sunday, May 6, 2018




Hi guys! It's been a while since I've updated you all on my life. I am done with 6/8 rotations!!! My last rotation was emergency medicine and I absolutely loved it! I loved the variety of conditions you get to see and treat in the ER and how there is never a dull day. Even though I caught the stomach bug from one of the several patients we saw in the ER with it, it was still my favorite rotation (after surgery). The preceptors I worked with were all so intelligent and willing to teach and the procedures I got to do during my time there made this rotation a fulfilling experience. I will be sharing a day in the life post about that tomorrow! And as always, being in Chattanooga, my favorite city in the country, is always such a joyful experience.

On Friday, we had a hooding ceremony at school. Basically a hooding ceremony is done when you get your masters degree. It's not the same as graduation although it's usually done around the time of graduation. When you graduate from undergrad, you get a tassel. Likewise, graduating from your masters program earns you a hood (it's not actually a hood that goes over your head, but more like a scarf that goes around your neck).

Even though our program doesn't end till August of this year, our university's commencement was this weekend and the hooding ceremony can only be done during the time of commencement. It was either now or December so our program decided to do it now!

It was a short and sweet ceremony and although to me it didn't seem real since we still have 3 more months, it was nice to be recognized for all the hard work that goes in to even be sitting on that stage waiting to receive our hoods. It was also wonderful to see everyone's families again since last year's white coat ceremony and just take a little time out to celebrate our accomplishments and all that we've learned in the last 8 months.

We have a week off from rotations (first time since Christmas) so I am indulging in being lazy for the first few days while also taking care of non-PA school related mundane life things like going to see my dental hygienist, getting my car's oil changed, etc. Then my parents and I are driving down to Raleigh, NC to spend some time with my sister and her husband!

After the break, I will be starting my elective rotation in Dermatology in Nashville for 6 weeks before heading back to Chattanooga for my last rotation, which will be Pediatrics!

Whether you are just now starting out and thinking of/are applying to PA school, are in the midst of your journey and are overwhelmed with all the things you need to do, or are so close to the finish line you can almost taste it (like me), remember that it is so worth it. Even when you feel like giving up and are consumed with self doubt, remember that you once wished for where you are right now. It's so challenging yet so rewarding when you are done!

Thank you for reading along and being a part of my journey. Thank you for all your encouragement and support. You guys are the sweetest and I never expected to find such a genuinely loving community through this blog. Here are a few more pictures from the hooding ceremony for you guys. I couldn't have made it this far without these intelligent, caring, and loving future PA-Cs!










You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram get more frequent updates about my PA school experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment