Interview Tips for a New PA

Wednesday, December 12, 2018




Interviews as a new graduate can be both exciting and intimidating, especially if you've never held a job in healthcare before (like me). Here are some things I have learned on the way or did to try and have a successful interview.


Do your research on the practice/department.

Most practices have websites that you can go look at and read what their mission and values are, what services they offer, familiarize yourself with the providers, etc. This gives you some idea of what to expect when you walk in through the doors.

Dress to impress

This goes without saying. If you've made it this far, you know how it goes.

Have multiple copies of your resume printed and filed in your portfolio. Bring a pen!

First of all, it looks professional to carry a portfolio so get yourself one if you don't have it already. Second, have your resume ready because most of the interview invites are sent out by the hiring manager/recruiter and the providers interviewing you don't usually have your resume on hand. I was asked at 2 out of my 3 interviews if I had a resume for them and I was so glad to be prepared!
Pro tip: when you list your clinical year experience on your resume, list the rotation/speciality you are interviewing for at the very top. This makes it easier for the interviewer to go directly to the information they need and don't have to search for the most relevant information.

If asked why they should hire you when you have little to no experience, be prepared to sell yourself.

I always thought this was a trick question because clearly they are interested enough to invite you for an interview yet are pointing out what you lack. I responded with a well thought out response that was received very well the one time I had to discuss this. I would say something along the lines of "what I lack in experience, I make up for it with my eagerness to learn, my enthusiasm, and my dedication". I would also point out that since I am a new graduate with no prior healthcare experience, I look at it as a strength and not a weakness. I have no prior "bad" habits or expectations and I can be trained as the physician sees fit. This is the part that almost everyone agrees with in the real world.

Another thing to do is to highlight your clinical skills and what you already are comfortable with. That gives them an idea of how much training you will require.

Training a new graduate is a commitment.

Be prepared to answer why you want to work in that speciality, what your long term goals are, and how long you plan on working at the said place where you're interviewing. Training a new graduate takes a lot of time, effort, and slows down the clinic no matter how good or smart you are. They are investing in your as a provider so they don't want to see you get your training and leave in 6 months. Give these things some thought before going in for our interview and also before accepting a position.

When asked about your salary requirements, don't trap yourself with a number.

I have been told by several people to never throw out a specific number to answer this question. Hold out for as long as you possibly can and let them tell you what they can offer first. If you must answer it, give them a range but only after you have done your research. I talked about this more in a prior post. Another way to answer this is by saying "I expect a salary the will make me feel valued as a clinician for the amount to work I will be doing".

Write down some questions in your portfolio's notepad and ask them at the end of your interview.

This shows that you've given it some thought and are prepared for the interview. It is also okay to write down their answers as they speak. Here are some questions to ask.

Questions to ask at the interview
  • Is it a part time or full time position? 
  • What are the hours/how many shifts will you be required to work?
  • Will there be a physician present on site at all times? (important as a new graduate)
  • Has the practice/hospital ever hired a new graduate?
  • Are there other PAs/NPS that work there? What has their experience been like? How long have they worked there for?
  • What kind of training will be provided and how long is the training period?
  • Are there any required "admin" hours?
  • What EMR system do you use and do you plan on changing it in the near future?
  • What are your goals for the practice/department over the next 5-10 years?
  • What expectations do you have of me if I were to work here?
  • When will I hear back from you and and what will be the next step in the interview process?
Questions to ask after you get a job offer
  • What is the salary?
    •  usually if they are making an offer, they will most likely tell you what the salary is and you won't have to ask.
  • Is healthcare provided as part of the benefits? 
  • What does the malpractice insurance look like and who pays for it?
  • Is there a sign on bonus or an incentive bonus (usually means you have to work extra to get the bonus)? 
  • What does the PTO look like? Sick time? Retirement funds?
  • What does the CME allowance look like?
  • Is your licensing cost reimbursed?
If you have anything to add, share your tips and experience in the comments!

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram to get more frequent updates about my PA-life experiences.

2 comments :

  1. Leaving a comment to thank you for this Blog! I have read nearly every post as I prepare to begin my PA journey this May in Ohio. Looking forward to your continued postings. - Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading, Jenna! I am happy to have been able to help. Good luck on your PA journey :)

    ReplyDelete