PA Job Search FAQs

Monday, November 26, 2018




I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and some amazing food! Last week, you all asked some questions about a job search on instagram and today I am sharing all the questions with answers! Thank you all for your questions, I'm sure you're not the only one who wanted to ask that and by asking you may be helping someone else out! I was going to answer these questions as a part of another post but I figured since there are so many, I could do it better justice by writing a separate FAQ post! Here we go.

Can you apply to a job in a different state before you have a license in that state?
Yes, absolutely! I applied to several jobs in Georgia while living in Tennessee and got invited for interviews there. You do not have to have a license in a specific state or even have to be graduated from school before you start applying to jobs in any state.

How early during your clinical year should you start applying for jobs?
The sooner the better. Now I wouldn't suggest applying in the first 2-4 months because you've barely started and don't have a whole lot to share on your resume as per your clinical year experience. I've heard a range of 6-9 months of being into rotations is a good time to start. I personally started in April and I was graduating in August. HOWEVER, if you love a rotation (even if it's your first one) and that speciality, let your preceptor know! Show your interest, work hard, ask lots of questions (be genuine though) and let them know that you would be interested in working there after graduation.

Where do you even start looking? Graduating next year and the thought overwhelms me!
I started looking online on indeed, ziprecuiter, simplyhired, careerbuilder, AAPA's job board, your state PA chapter's job board, monster, glassdoor, and many other countless websites. Word of mouth is still a great way to network and connect. I let all of my professors and family friends know what specialties and location I was interested in and asked them all to please keep me in mind if they knew of anyone hiring. Some of my family friends even made calls on my behalf or got me in touch with their friends who could point me in the right direction. I know a lot of people don't like to ask others for favors but it really isn't a favor. It is also their way of paying it forward and it is called networking! There is no shame in knowing the right people. And just because someone recommends you doesn't mean they are 100% responsible for getting you the job or that you will even get the job. Your merit, clinical skills, personality is all still evaluated when and if you get an interview. They are simply getting you in touch with the right people, the rest still depends on you!

Do you have any experience using recruiting agencies to find a job?
It is becoming common practice for clinics and especially hospitals to have recruiting companies to conduct the hiring processes, including inviting candidates for interviews. When I got the offer for my ER position that I have accepted, I had been talking with a recruiter who had set up the interview for me and also who I heard from with when I got the offer. I had a very positive experience and they were very helpful to me. However, I will say I did not reach out to a recruiting company to "find" a job. It just so happened that the position I was interested in did their hiring that way.

Does it help to have done a rotation at a site you want to apply for a job?
Absolutely! If you have a rotation where you would like to work, treat it as a job interview. Show them what a great fit you'd be for their practice and that you'd fit right into the team. It also helps that  they have the chance to assess your clinical skills and judgement, your knowledge, and also basically train you for that job during your rotation if you think about it. It even gives you the chance to determine if you can imagine working there as well and if they're a good fit for you!

Was is challenging to find a job without years of experience?
Oh, absolutely. To say it was challenging is an understatement. I applied to so, so many jobs and more then 60% of them never got back to me, even to turn me down. There were so many jobs where I met all the requirements except the part of 1+/2+ years of experience. It is hard but I was expecting it. We had been warned by the class above us and even our faculty that it might take a few months to find a job as a new grad, especially in Nashville, because there is so much competition with NPs . I applied to all the jobs I was interested in, even though I wasn't qualified in terms of experience and surprisingly got interview invites for the ones that required experience. So I would say go ahead and apply because it doesn't hurt, but be prepared for the fact that it might not go your way.

Did you feel prepared to discuss benefits/insurance/salary comfortably in interviews?
Absolutely not. I had never done it before. Thankfully, I never had to discuss it in any of my interviews either. The only time I discussed it was when I was offered my job and the recruiter I was speaking to was very kind; she knew it was my first job as a PA so she explained a lot of things to me along the way. But before I would go in for an interview, I would mentally prepare myself to be able to discuss those things in case they come up. You can check out the pa forums and see what job offers people get in that specific speciality to get an idea of what to expect.

How did you negotiate the salary? Did you need to? How did you come up with your number?
I just asked if the salary I was told was negotiable and they gave me the best they could do. Since I had done my rotation where I got the job, I mentioned that and how I already knew the EMR system so I wouldn't need a whole lot of training for that, etc. I was told never to give one number but instead think of a range. I would use the AAPA's salary report to come up with your range or ask around in the area you're looking at. You should try to let them give you what they can offer first. That way if they're willing to offer more then what you'd expected, you don't accidentally end up giving them a lower range and ultimately make less then what they were willing to compensate you for. Also, if you are asked for a salary range early on in the interview process and you aren't really sure what to say, you can also respond along the lines of "the salary is negotiable as long as I am being compensated for what is expected of me".

Is it easier to find a job in the same area as the school was in compared to out of sate?
It depends on the location. So I went to school in Nashville where there are NP schools as well, so for me, it was actually more difficult to find a job in the same area as my school. It was easier to find jobs away from here. I would recommend applying in multiple cities instead of just one unless you have special circumstances and that is not an option.

What are the qualities that employers look for in a new grad?
It's hard for me to say with 100% confidence because every practice and employer is different but I will share my personal experience. I've had an interview where the doctor was very hesitant and unsure about hiring a new graduate due to a prior "poor" experience where a new grad PA had taken the job and quit within a few months to go work in the same speciality elsewhere. At other interviews, I was told they actually like to hire new graduates because we have no "bad habits" and the doctor can train you the way they see is the best way to practice medicine in their professional opinion.

Apart from that, I would say someone who is eager to learn, is enthusiastic, works hard, is reliable, has a strong work ethic, etc. They want to know that you're not just using them to get your experience and then move on within a year or even less. They also look to see if you are a good fit for their practice and will become a team member. These are some of the things I was told when I asked what they look for in a candidate during my interview!

If you're on the job hunt or will be in that season soon, know that it is not a smooth sail for everyone. The reason I say this is because there will be a handful or even a lot of people around you/in your class who will have job offers from their rotations or even before graduation while you may or may not. As always, it is easy to play the comparison game and feel like you're doing something wrong or are behind. Remember that every journey looks different and just because you dont have a job yet doesn't mean you are not smart or worthy. Sometimes we have to be patient for all the cards to fall into the right place. Personally, I chose to wait for the right opportunity with the right team to come along instead of jumping on the first offer. I will share more about this in a future post!

I hope this Q&A shed some light on the job search and interview process for a new graduate. As always, everyone has different experiences and opinions so take everything anyone says with a grain of salt!

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram to get more frequent updates about my PA-life experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment