Feeding myself through PA school

Sunday, September 16, 2018




I recently received a request from one of you asking me to share my lunch recipes on the blog. What a great suggestion, I'm surprised I never thought of it myself! Since 95% of people I know LOVE food as much as I do, I figured I'd mix it up a bit today and share some of the recipes I made during didactic and clinical years of PA school!

So when I find recipes, I usually adjust them per my taste and requirements (meat or no meat, change/omit certain spices, etc.) and mood for that day. I'll share the link to a recipe and share how I altered it just in case anyone is interested to see how I played around with it.

Breakfast

I'm not a huge breakfast fan and if you know me personally, you know I eat my breakfast in multiple "snacks". But on the weekends sometimes I like to whip up a little something and make myself a simple but filling brunch.

Breakfast Burrito: we all know there are multiple things you can add to a breakfast burrito. The one I make only has eggs in it but many people also add meat to it.

School/work day: coffee, blueberry chobani greek yogurt, fruit of some sort, kind breakfast bars


Quick Recipes

Mexican Corn and Quinoa Salad: my ABSOLUTE favorite recipe of all times. It's so quick and requires literally the least amount of effort.
- Pro tip: if you have an instant pot, you can cook quinoa in 1 minute on high pressure!

Loaded Veggie Salad with Chickpeas and Black Beans: I usually do either chickpeas or black beans instead of both, add a handful of spinach on some days. You can literally play around with this any way you want.

Toastadas: this is my go to dinner recipe if I get home late and am super hungry.

Guacamole Grilled Cheese: my all time favorite. I even have my mom hooked on it ;)

Chickpea Avocado Salad: because we all are so much happier with even more avocado in our lives.

Avocado Egg Salad: so filling!

Black bean quesadillas: my #1 comfort food forever and always. I also add chili powder and cumin + coriander powder to my seasonings. I pour in some vegetable broth and let the veggie-bean mixture simmer until broth evaporates.

Hummus Quesadillas: I've only made one batch of this and I used spinach and mushrooms instead of olives (because I am not an olive person) but you can switch out the veggies as you like.

Recipes that require a bit more love

Black Bean Quinoa Enchilada Bake: love love love this recipe. It just hits the spot for me each time.

One Pot Taco Pasta: I've played around a lot with this one. I use whatever pasta I have at hand so there is no added pressure to go out and buy elbow macaroni if you don't have it. I usually substitute enchilada sauce for taco sauce and sauté green bell peppers, onions, garlic, and taco seasoning since I don't add any meat.

Lasagna: I make this meatless as well. The last time I made this, I also added sautéed onion, garlic, and spinach to one small portion of lasagna. Too good!

Black Bean Burgers: anyone else feel like Facebook is only for recipes nowadays?

Sides

Roasted Asparagus with Panko and Parmesan: because who doesn't like some good asparagus?

Roasted Vegetables: literally the easiest thing to make with the least amount of effort.

Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts: I'm getting into Brussels sprouts lately and this was such a quick fix during rotations.

There are a lot more things I've made from recipes that I've accumulated from family and friends along the way but unfortunately I don't have a link to share for those. Some of those things include garlic + green onion pasta with mixed sauce, paneer and veggie panini, vegetarian chili, cheese tortellini with homemade tomato sauce, and much more.

I hope this was a fun post for you guys. I'm currently brainstorming to see where I can take this blog since I've graduated from PA school and my life looks a lot different now. If you guys have any particular requests or suggestions, drop them in the comments below and let me know! I still have some PA related posts I'm working on so that content is not going anywhere, don't you worry.

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram get more frequent updates about my PA school experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment