Final Thoughts on Clinicals

Wednesday, September 12, 2018




Switching over from didactic to clinical year was a major transition but an exciting one. We had all been waiting for this day for so long, to finally get out of the classroom and into a clinic or hospital to interact with real patients. When I look back on clinical year, here are the things that I am grateful for personally and professionally:

I'm grateful to my preceptors for opening their doors to me so that I can learn from them. It's a great commitment to accept a student and allow them to be around you all day every day. Students, without meaning to, slow down any clinic, especially in their first few rotations or for the first few days/weeks of each rotation as they settle into the rhythm of the practice. It takes a lot of time and patience to teach us the things we learn on rotations and they certainly don't have to have you there.

I'm grateful for the patients that have let me hear their stories, be patient with me as I did my HPI and exam, and allowed me to be a small part of their care for that day. I was touched by how many patients were willing to let me be in the room, especially ones that had something more sensitive going on. I'm thankful they let me practice my suturing, performing I&D's, injections, removing toenails, etc. on them so that I could improve my technique. I've learned incredible things from my patients, not only about being a PA but also about life, and I will carry those experiences with me for years to come.

I'm grateful for the staff that have taken me under their wing and made me feel comfortable since day one of a rotation. It means a lot when you're the only newbie fumbling around trying to figure your way out if someone goes out of their way to include you in a patient's care or simply get you acquainted with the clinic and the rest of the staff. It's the small things that matter.

I'm grateful for tough preceptors who challenged me and never allowed me to give up on my lack of knowledge. I've learned more from the harder rotations because I was forced to figure it out as I go but were always there to teach me after I'd tried once myself. It has taught me to trust my knowledge and have more confidence in myself, while also teaching me endurance and perseverance.

I'm grateful to my family & friends who have so patiently waited for me to finish PA school. Over the last two and a half years, I've missed many dinners and events, cancelled plans because I simply couldn't be everywhere at once and not been able to return missed phone calls. They have picked up my slack and provided for me, allowed me to focus solely on my goals for so long, supported me and encouraged me, prayed for me, and wiped away my tears and my self-doubt, all without complaining even once. I understand that I am not the only one who has made sacrifices here and I do not take them for granted for one second.

I'm grateful for my program to have prepared me well and for my classmates who I missed so dearly while on rotations. It was such a joy to become PAs alongside 42 incredible people that are now a huge family. You guys blow me away with your kindness, intelligence, willing to always share resources and for being such quality people. I miss you all already.

I'm grateful to all of you who have read this blog and followed me journey and reached out to me telling me that I've impacted your decision to go to PA school, to keep pushing through the hard times, or to even start your own platform to share your journeys. I am happy that my one decision has helped so many of you either start your own journey or reach your goals even in the smallest of ways. I am eternally grateful for all the love and encouragement I've received from my blogging and instagram community. I can't wait to share the next chapter with you all when the time is right!

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram get more frequent updates about my PA school experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment