A Day in the Life: Pediatrics

Thursday, August 23, 2018




6:00 am - alarm jolts me awake and I hit snooze and pretend I dont have to get out of bed. It's storming outside and is so dark, making it almost impossible to get out of bed.

6:10 am - I finally will myself to get up, get cleaned up, and start the coffee. Last night's Aashna decided to be nice to future Aashna so lunch is already packed. I take the opportunity to sit around and drink my coffee even more slowly today before I get ready and head out the door.

7:10 am - start driving to Dayton since that's where my rotation is. I am currently staying in Chattanooga at my best friend and her husband's house and its a 40 minute drive to get to work.

7:52 am- get to work, put my lunch in the fridge and wait for my preceptor to get here. I have another classmate with me on this rotation so it's nice to have a familiar face to see every day! We don't have any patients till 9 am so we both study until then.

9:15am - for the morning I do a bunch of well child exams (physicals), see a few patients with swimmer's ears, strep throat, one follow up for ADHD, one case of hand foot and mouth disease, and more well child exams.

12:05pm -  my classmate and I eat our lunch and afterward go walk outside for 15ish minutes every day to just get out of the office and remain somewhat active. Since there are two of us, we see basically every other patient so there's a lot of time in between where we sit and study, especially on the slower days which happen more often then not. Funny thing about being in a clinic is that some days are super slow and some days we are so slammed that there's barely any time to even get a drink of water. Today is an in-between day and we've been going at a steady pace.

1 pm - we come back in and study for a little while longer as we wait for our first afternoon appointment. I see one patient with behavioral complain by parent, see patients with constipation, viral pharyngitis, middle ear infection (acute otitis media), and more well child exams.

5:30 pm: we are done for the day and head out the door. I drive back to Chattanooga, get home and take a shower and make dinner. Tonight I'm making tostadas which is super easy and quick recipe with minimal cooking! After dinner I clean up the kitchen and pack next day's lunch.

7 pm - 9 pm: I watch Downton Abbey instead of studying because I studied what was on my agenda at work! One good thing about slower days is that I can study at work and then just do whatever I want when I get home, so no complains there. I also browse through Pinterest to find new recipes for lunch because I am getting bored with the receipts I have been alternating for the last few years now.

9:30 pm - I have been a super old lady and have been going to bed really early this week. I get in bed and say my prayers before turning off the light and slipping into sweet slumber.



Day in review
Hours worked: 9 and a half
Total patients seen: 14
Patients seen on my own: 14

You can subscribe via email or find me on Bloglovin' to make sure you never miss a blog post! You can also follow me on Instagram get more frequent updates about my PA school experiences.

1 comment :