Three for Tuesday (6.21.2016)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016




Hello friends! I’ve been thinking about doing a new type of post for a while now and I’m finally getting around to it. I have always enjoyed reading the weekly/weekend update posts by different bloggers where they share a number of things every week on different topics. So expect a post at least on Tuesdays of every week from here on out (unless PA school gets way too crazy). I’m linking with Franish since her top three posts are how I begin my Sunday mornings (along with a hot cup of coffee) and also because she’s one of the bloggers who inspired me to start these posts!

Medicine
  • Palmaris longus muscle is a muscle that helps us flex our wrists. However, 15% of the population doesn’t have this muscle.
  • Metaplasia is a reversible change in which one cell type is replaced by another cell type by stem cell reprogramming. The most common is columnar to squamous metaplasia in the respiratory tract of smokers. This is why smokers are more likely to have a dry throat, since the squamous cells do not produce mucous.
  • In a child, an injury (such as a fracture) to their bones can result in a compression of their growth plate, which in turn can destroy regions of their growth plate. This leads to asymmetric growth across that joint region.

PA School
  • Last Friday in cadaver lab, we dissected the thorax. I got to hold a human heart and lungs in my hands for the first time! It was an unbelieveable moment that I still have not gotten over.
  • Blood vessels and nerves are quickly becoming my least favorite part of anatomy. There are just so many of them and only one of me. But, I always like challenges.
  • We're learning to take one day at at time. As much as I got tired of hearing the analogy "PA School is like drinking water out of a fire hydrant" before school started, I can relate to it first hand now.

Three Things I’m Thankful for
  • My study group. I don’t know how I would survive PA school without my guys. We keep each other on task, get each other through the rough days, and act silly while studying the range of motion for muscles. We also love eating Mexican food together every chance we get.
  • My car. I’ve been driving back and forth from school to study group and back to my apartment so much, I’m so grateful I have reliable means of transportation to get going at the drop of the hat.
  • Safety. With all that is going on in the world, it’s now becoming more clear to me how much we take our own safety for granted. 

In the Blog World
  • Blair shares a fun way to have some quality time with your girls even in the midst of everyone’s busy lives.
  • Loved reading Shanice’s perspective on taking a gap year between undergrad and med school.
  • For all those who love to meal prep and like to snack throughout the day like I do, check out Keri’s post about healthier eating.
For all of you sending me questions and feedback on Instagram, thank you so much for your kind words. It's always nice to know that I'm being helpful to at least some of y'all. Again, I apologize for the delayed responses (I had no notifications telling me I had any messages to look at!) but I believe I've responded to everyone at this point. Keep the questions coming!

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to include in the next Three for Tuesday post. Hope you all have a great rest of the week! Thanks for stopping by.

SaveSave

No comments :

Post a Comment