And So It Begins

Saturday, June 4, 2016

It's official! I just finished my first week of PA school! This week has been so wonderful, crazy, exciting, and a mix of lot of other emotions and thoughts.
This week we mainly had our Applied Anatomy class and our Medical Physiology and Pathophysiology I class. We also had our Intro to the PA Profession and Medical Ethics classes, which were more laid back and actually even a little fun. You guys... I used to love physiology until this week. There is just SO much that was addressed in one lecture that we all pretty much freaked out as soon as that first lecture was over. While that might sound bad, thanks to that experience, we started forming study groups on our first day of class and I think I've found my niche of people (or at least some of them). The friends I've made and my classmates are such beautiful people and I feel so blessed and relieved to have them with me through this journey. It's hard to believe how much we've learned in just 4 days of classes.

Our schedule is a little different every day, especially these first two weeks as we settle in. However, as I mentioned here, the best part is that we start at 9 am every day! This actually gives me time to mentally wake up and not just stare at the slides during my first class. I've also found out that I can wake up early and start studying while also pushing my brain till only about 10:30 pm to absorb information. Who would've guessed I'm a morning person?

This weekend was spent pretty much studying everything we learned last week. We have quizzes in 4 out of our 5 classes next week. Crazy, right? It's been nonstop studying since day one, but we find ways to keep ourselves sane and entertained. That might or might not involve my study partners talking through the lectures in a British accent (you know who you are) as we study, which makes me laugh like no tomorrow. At that point, we're all just delirious and really need to go to bed :)

On Friday of last week, we had our first cadaver lab! I was honestly so afraid that I would be super anxious and pass out. Somehow, I snapped into action once we got into lab and never felt dizzy even for a second. I find it so gracious for those people to donate their bodies to medicine so we could learn from them and help others. It was almost unbelievable to comprehend that I was actually dissecting the back muscles and getting to see the spinal cord. I think the hardest part of this lab for me was removing the spinous processes off the vertebrae and using a bone saw to cut it out of the way to get to the spinal cord. I will never forget this day and my first patient who will leave a mark on my education and on my soul.

No comments :

Post a Comment